Emphasis for Master of Engineering (MEng) Students
Engineering practice today demands a breadth of skills: not only technical, but also an understanding of leadership, finance and business, management, entrepreneurship and innovation. Engineers often appreciate the importance of such skills only after they join the workforce.
The Emphasis in ELITE offers University of Toronto MEng students a broad range of courses in these topics. The first of its kind in Canada, the ELITE Certificate is targeted at engineers seeking to develop a more well-rounded skill set. To earn the Emphasis in ELITE, MEng students must complete at least four of the courses listed below. The Certificate can be integrated into MEng programs offered by any of six departments in the Faculty (Aerospace, Chemical, Civil, Electrical & Computer, Mechanical & Industrial, and Materials Science).
As best we can, ELITE courses are scheduled with working professionals in mind. We offer a mix of daytime, evening and Saturday morning courses in each of the fall, winter, and summer sessions. The format of the courses varies: some are taught once a week for 12 weeks. A few are taught online. Others, especially in the summer, are taught on a 2-week intensive basis.
The table below lists the ELITE course schedule for the coming year, as we know it today, and is subject to change. Students are encouraged to check regularly for updated information.
Students who complete the requirements of the Emphasis in ELITE will be provided with a certificate of completion.
- The SUMMER 2017 term runs from May 8th – September 1st, 2017. Exact dates & times can be found by clicking on the links below. Enrollment opened on April 3rd, 2017. The last day to add and drop courses depends on each individual course (information to follow in the “Admin Info” section for each course).
- The Fall 2017 term runs from September 11th – December 8th, 2017.
- The Winter 2018 term runs from January 8th – April 6th, 2018.
- Enrollment will open for both the Fall 2017 & Winter 2018 sessions on August 2nd, 2017
- For course related questions or to obtain a your ELITE certificate, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all other student inquiries, (registration, grades, and other administrative questions), please contact the Graduate Studies office in your home department.
- Some courses may satisfy the requirements of multiple certificates, (also called “emphases”). Students may double-count a maximum of one course towards the requirements of any two certificates.
View our current employment opportunities.