Emphasis for Master of Engineering (MEng) Students
Engineering practice today demands a breadth of skills: not only technical, but also an understanding of leadership, finance and business, management, entrepreneurship and innovation. Engineers often appreciate the importance of such skills only after they join the workforce.
The Emphasis in ELITE offers University of Toronto MEng students a broad range of courses in these topics. The first of its kind in Canada, the ELITE Emphasis is targeted at engineers seeking to develop a more well-rounded skill set. To earn the Emphasis in ELITE, MEng students must complete at least four of the courses listed below. The Emphasis can be integrated into MEng programs offered by any of six departments in the Faculty (Aerospace, Chemical, Civil, Electrical & Computer, Mechanical & Industrial, and Materials Science).
As best we can, ELITE courses are scheduled with working professionals in mind. We offer a mix of daytime, evening and Saturday morning courses in each of the fall, winter, and summer sessions. The format of the courses varies: some are taught once a week for 12 weeks. A few are taught online. Others, especially in the summer, are taught on a 2-week intensive basis.
The table below lists the ELITE course schedule for the coming year, as we know it today, and is subject to change. Students are encouraged to check regularly for updated information.
Students who complete the requirements of the Emphasis in ELITE will be able to have their ELITE Emphasis be noted on their transcript. This notation will only appear once you receive your degree and graduate.
To confirm completion of the ELITE Emphasis at the end of your studies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your student name and number, at least 2 weeks before your graduation date.
- Course enrollment date for ELITE courses: August 1, 2018
- The Fall 2018 term runs from September 10 – December 10, 2018.
- The Winter 2018 term runs from January 7 – April 8, 2019.
- The SUMMER 2018 term runs from May 7 – August 31, 2018. Enrollment opens April 2, 2018. Please note for the Summer session, the last day to add and drop courses depends on each individual course (information to follow in the “Admin Info” section for each course).
- ELITE Course information can be found by clicking on the links below.
- For course related questions please send an email to email@example.com.
- For all other student inquiries, (registration, grades, and other administrative questions), please contact the Graduate Studies office in your home department.
- Some courses may satisfy the requirements of multiple certificates, (also called “emphases”). Students may double-count a maximum of one course towards the requirements of any two certificates.
View our current employment opportunities.