The Cohort Program is an opportunity to take a deep dive into career management with a supportive community of like-minded graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. Facilitated by faculty and professional development experts, the program provides an opportunity to clarify your interests and aspirations, develop job application materials, and explore career pathways. We offer three different Cohort Programs to address the specific needs of the U of T Engineering community.
The Complementary Events are open to all engineering graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. These events provide an introduction to the school-to-work transition, tools to develop skills critical to the success of a professional, and a venue to network with engineering alumni.
|Negotiating Job Offers||Tuesday May 30||12:00 - 1:30 pm||GB202|
|Step Into Tech - Roles in Sales, Customer Success, and Account Management for Technologists||Tuesday June 6||12:00 - 1:30 pm||Online||Registration open|
|Interviewing for Work||Tuesday July 25||12:00 - 1:30 pm||GB202||Registration open|
Negotiating Job Offers
Tuesday May 30, 2023 | 12:00 – 1:30 pm | GB202
In this session, you will learn about approaches to negotiating job offers effectively. Specifically, you will:
- Discuss factors to consider when negotiating job offers
- Consider what aspects of an offer can be negotiated
- Walk through a framework to prepare for negotiating and gain resources to help with this preparation
- Explore and identity other factors that might impact on the negotiation process
Facilitator: Mary McAuliffe, Career Educator, Career Exploration & Education
Step Into Tech - Roles in Sales, Customer Success, and Account Management for Technologists
Tuesday June 6, 2023 | 12:00 – 1:30 pm | Online | Register here
Join us for a session on careers in technical sales for engineers. We will address the following:
- What is technical sales and customer success?
- How to find your fit in technical sales or customer success?
- How to make your next move?
This session will be led by Uvaro, a community-based career success company that offers training and support for those interested in technical sales and other commercialization roles. There are more than 87k high-paying, open jobs in North America that could use your skills. We will also be joined by engineers working in technical sales who will share their career experience.
Interviewing for Work
Tuesday, July 25 | 12:00 – 1:30 pm | GB202 | Register on the event form
In this session, you will receive a brief review of interviewing strategies, including practice giving and receiving feedback on your interview techniques. Specifically, you will:
- Describe strategies for effectively preparing for interviews and techniques for responding to different types of interview questions.
- Practice responding to interview questions and giving feedback to interview responses.
- Discover resources and services to support you during the interview process.
It is highly recommended that you review the 15-minute Interview Preparation Module Course before attending.
Facilitator: Joanne Lieu, Graduate Professional Development Coordinator, Office of the Vice Dean, Graduate Studies
Signature Complementary Events
The Signature Complementary Events are open to all engineering graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. These highly popular events require a longer time commitment (i.e., full-day), and are sometimes offered a couple times a year.